I haven’t posted anything in quite a while, but now that I am officially in week 5 of quarantine– I have time. At the start of this I had been keeping myself busy with mostly with working at home.
Starting next week I will be on furlough. Last weekend I spent some time making masks. Completely surprised myself by having elastic on hand. I have never used elastic for anything ever. Do I just like to plan ahead? It is a good thing because you can’t get it anywhere now.
My scrap bin has a lot of bits and pieces from previous projects. I planned to make zippered pouches with them. Who would’ve guessed it would be necessary to turn them into masks?
I followed a YouTube tutorial and all but 2 out of the 9 I made were too small for me. I guess I have a big head! They were mailed to my mother.
We haven’t had kitchen curtains for at least 3 years. It was really hard to find something to go with the retro vibes of the room. After repainting the kitchen, green curtains would no longer do. I tried several times to find something perfect, but eventually gave up and decided I would make my own.
I found this Coca-Cola fabric on clearance with the maids and felt inspired (I am easily inspired by good prices). Check for more hints.
The fabric was a bit overwhelming to sew even in this lightweight fabric. It’s good practice in stitching straight. I won’t reveal how well I managed to get them all to turn out the exactly the same (because I didn’t)!
They turned out just fine and fit suit the room better than anything I was ever able to find in a store or online.
I thought this up one day at work. Daydreaming as usual. I cut the hexagons with this sizzix die. Each side measures 1 inch so these hexies aren’t too big, but they’re not too small either. I cut 24 hexagons out of wool blend felt.
My pillow form was 16 x 16. I chose a black fabric with a grey herringbone pattern. I was initially going to place the pieces edge to edge, but I really liked a picture I saw of a stitches between shapes and felt it would make for a more interesting pillow. I placed the hexies 1/4″ apart and used a quick bond adhesive to hold them in place for sewing.
As a newbie at sewing I was nervous about how to approach this and I didn’t have a master plan. It was sort of a learn as you go experience! Now, as you can see, I was originally just going to stitch through each corner of the hexies but …
I decided it would look way cooler if I went to the edge of the panel with some of the stitches. Now of course, if I had things planned out I could have avoided the stop and start spots, but like I said, this was just a project on a whim.
I think it turned out pretty great! And now that I have this one I can definitely go forward with a game plan on the next hexie pillow.
Christmas has put me in the mood for trees. I haven’t put up a formal tree in years but I am developing an unhealthy obsession with little trees. I found a cool wood grain fabric and was inspired to make a couple plush trees using wool felt and hot glue (and maybe a couple more things)… BOOM! It’s that simple!
Ok, so this one wasn’t as simple. I cut each leaf individually with my Sizzix Big Shot… but it was worth the effort.