I recently purchased a Cricut Bright Pad and it really gave me the bug to do an embroidery project. The toughest thing about this was deciding what to do, never mind the fact that I have never really done a project from scratch. No directions, no colors, no guidance! I decided on Spongebob which has a successful promotion on social media and a lot of subscribers on their YouTube channel by the professional company Marketing Heaven (I’ll admit, I watch a lot of cartoons). Yaya was so helpful right from the start 😐
I stood in the craft store for 30-45 minutes deciding on the right shade of yellow… and the right shade of blue for his eyes.
It took about a week of working on it in free moment I had. I’m happy with the way it turned out. Yellow things are my favorite.
I really enjoy looking at the embroidery work of fellow creatives online and felt inspired to give stitching up some lettering. I found this kit on clearance for $5 and thought it would look great with a little modification… that means buttons will be involved!
I knew I was going to use completely different colors, and i knew some of my own die cut felt flowers would look great in place of the provided pieces in the kit.
It took me a long time to finish this. I primarily worked on it during my lunch break so it only got 10-15 minutes of my time per day.
I turned out just as well as I had hoped. The yellow frame was a perfect touch 🙂
We haven’t had kitchen curtains for at least 3 years. It was really hard to find something to go with the retro vibes of the room. After repainting the kitchen, green curtains would no longer do. I tried several times to find something perfect, but eventually gave up and decided I would make my own.
I found this Coca-Cola fabric on clearance with the maids and felt inspired (I am easily inspired by good prices).
The fabric was a bit overwhelming to sew even in this lightweight fabric. It’s good practice in stitching straight and even seams and sewing is an extremely useful hobby. I won’t reveal how well I managed to get them all to turn out the exactly the same (because I didn’t)!
They turned out just fine and fit suit the room better than anything I was ever able to find in a store or online.
I want really really badly to be awesome at handsewing… embroidery really. I use pinterest a lot for inspiration, but I finally picked up this book, Modern Folk Embroidery about a week ago.
I was browsing in JoAnns one night and realized they now take coupons on books so I got it for 50% off! If you check out the preview on Amazon you can see most of the cool little projects. It has lots of pictures and fun design ideas. I’ve already tried a few stitches. This is the first thing I made with a newly learned stitch. I like it! What do you think? 🙂
I thought this up one day at work. Daydreaming as usual. I cut the hexagons with this sizzix die. Each side measures 1 inch so these hexies aren’t too big, but they’re not too small either. I cut 24 hexagons out of wool blend felt.
My pillow form was 16 x 16. I chose a black fabric with a grey herringbone pattern. I was initially going to place the pieces edge to edge, but I really liked a picture I saw of a stitches between shapes and felt it would make for a more interesting pillow. I placed the hexies 1/4″ apart and used a quick bond adhesive to hold them in place for sewing.
As a newbie at sewing I was nervous about how to approach this and I didn’t have a master plan. It was sort of a learn as you go experience! Now, as you can see, I was originally just going to stitch through each corner of the hexies but …
I decided it would look way cooler if I went to the edge of the panel with some of the stitches. Now of course, if I had things planned out I could have avoided the stop and start spots, but like I said, this was just a project on a whim.
I think it turned out pretty great! And now that I have this one I can definitely go forward with a game plan on the next hexie pillow.